Whatever the subject- Maths, Science , the Arts or Sport we strive for excellence through the provision of a high calibre, rounded education.
We provide a curriculum which encompasses the development of skills and knowledge across all subject areas in a creative and engaging way. We encourage our learners to be active through working together, questioning their learning and working with a balance of practical and written learning opportunities. We work hard to ensure the broad curriculum is delivered in a fun and engaging way for all learners – with trips, visitors and IT included, that help bring the curriculum alive. The development of knowledge and skills is progressive as we move through the year groups and is indeed appropriate for the needs of all learners across the school, including those with SEND. Our learning environments are positive, where `can do` attitudes prevail. The following statement encapsulates this: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 14..13.
The concept of having a go and doing our best infiltrates Shiplake CE Primary at every level. Mental health and well being is a priority here, with weekly counselling sessions available to staff and children alike, daily mindfulness exercised across the school, as well as energiser sessions in the day to ensure we are ready to learn effectively. PSHE and our schools Christian Values of truth, wisdom, friendship, equality, compassion and peace provide children with the moral compass for their future lives.
All these aspects ensure children are happy and ready to embrace the challenges the curriculum holds for them throughout every year group
- In the TOP 6 % of ALL primary schools in the country for year 1 phonics.
- Top 10% nationally for reading and writing – KS2 2018 results
- Consistently working above Oxfordshire and national results (3-year profile) across the school – Foundation stage, Ks1 and KS2 results
- The monitoring of standards that takes place in school shows consistently good learning behaviours across all year groups and an eagerness to learn
- Bringing education to life through a range of trips linked to curriculum areas and Yr 4 and Yr 6 residential trips
- Specialist sports teacher
- Daily physical energiser
- Weekly running club where a 1/4 of the school starts the day with a cross country run and a number of children go on to compete in cross country competitions.
- Part of the Henley Schools partnership programme for Sports competitions
- Weekly swimming lessons in Yr. 3 and Yr. 4
- Inter-house sports competitions each term
- Whole school sports day at Shiplake College
- Extra-curricular clubs such as netball, strength and conditioning, dance and fitness
- Years 3 and 4 children are County tennis finalists
- Extra Curricular activities include I-Rock – children have the opportunity to learn an instrument, be in their own rock band and get to perform in front of parents and the whole school
- Drum lessons, woodwind, brass and piano lessons are all available for children who want to learn an instrument.
- We have a school choir that performs not only in our school church services, but also at PTFA events such as the Christmas Fair and seasonally at a local care home.
- Year 5 children get to perform at the 02 in front of thousands as part of Young Voices Concert. It’s an invaluable opportunity to be part of largest school choir in the world and is a much talked about in the playground.
Other extra-curricular activities
- Spanish, Cookery, Lego and Arts and Crafts are some of the clubs we put on to reinforce the school ethos, ensuring all our pupils needs and interests are actively catered for. In Speech and Drama children have the opportunity to work towards their LAMDA certificates.
- The School Library is organised by the children to promote a love of reading. It’s well stocked and packed with modern authors. Last year £1,500 was spent updating our collection. In assembly children volunteer to talk about their favourite books and authors. We try and buy sets of the same books so children can read together and discuss together as a class, which they seem to enjoy and benefit from.
- Times Tables Rockstars is enormously popular and improves children’s numeracy particularly multiplication and division.
- We encourage our children to give talks to their class on a huge arrange of subjects from hobbies to heroes.